Hi! My name is Browyn King (pronounced Bro-win) and I am the Children's Deacon at San Pedro! My husband and I moved to San Antonio in 2010 after having our first son, and joined San Pedro shortly after. We now have 3 children and LOVE the Children's Programs that San Pedro offers. My kids look forward to the days when they can return to Sunday School, Wednesday Night Kids, and all the Special Events!
During the time of COVID-19 the CMC team has put together "Take-Out Church" boxes with activities for families to do together with their children that goes along with the family devotional. These are available monthly in the foyer or during Communion Elements pick up (the first Saturday of the month). If it is your first time getting a box, please let me know and I will send you a devotional to go along with the activities/crafts! You can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Kids Ministry News
San Pedro is foregoing the typical summer "slow down" for church life. We've decided to go full throttle into a super summer fun spectacular celebration of really awesome stuff. In short form: it's our San Pedro Super Summer.
Lots of activities means lots of coordination. To assist your June planning, consider the following events. Each is hyperlinked for more information and RSVP options.
- June 6th - July 18th Backpack Drive for Christian Assistance Ministry! INFO
- June 19th Adult 80's Music Concert outing. It's a local band called the Spazmatics; according to church members they put on a great show. Kerry and I will be there... INFO
- June 20th Senior Pastor Installation service. My father is preaching, there will be food and bagpipes. It's the official process of confirming my call to San Pedro, and it will be my honor to have you attend. Bring an empty stomach (for the food), and earplugs (for the bagpipes). INFO
- June 21st - 25th - VBS is back! This is a major outreach to our local community - sign up your kids to attend; your older students to help; adult servant leaders always needed. INFO
- June 20th - 25th - Student Mission Trip. Jr Hi and Sr Hi students will help with VBS in the morning, then serve local nonprofits in the afternoon. INFO
- June 26th - Christian Adult Night Out (CANO) is going to be at our house with fajitas and fellowship - come check out our new home and enjoy a relaxing evening of fellowship, food and fun. INFO
- July 7th - August 11th Summer Movie Nights and Sunday Discussions. INFO
These are only a few of the highlights for summer - there's more to come.
We know that having squirmy kids in the sanctuary can be a handful for parent. While we love having kids in the sanctuary, we understand the struggle to keep a kid quiet and engaged. We are happy to announce that our Nursery Care and the Children's Church programs have been resurrected (Hallelujah) for our families with children.
Before the pandemic kids we offered cloth bags with various activities for children. While these bags are still unavailable, we want to provide kids with a coloring kit that they can use during the service. These kits contain coloring pages and crayons for the child to keep. These kits are to help our squirmy kiddos until the Moment for Fellowship and dismissal of children which will happen just before the pastor's message. They will be available in the Narthex, just ask an usher for a coloring kit when you check in.
I know that our adults are excited and would love to spend the service coloring fun pictures, but we ask that these kits be only kids. You’ll have to bring your own supplies.
The Easter Bunny showed up again this year at our Easter Egg Hunt! Member Becky Hooper has been a regular participant since the Easter Egg Hunt started several years ago. From Becky's Facebook page:
"I had the best time at the San Pedro Presbyterian Church egg hunt today! This outfit has served me well since I had it made in Itaewon, South Korea in 1982! The mask is new this year..."
Thanks for being there for our families and kids Becky!
It was great to have folks from every generation join us for worship on Easter Sunday. Family is folks of all ages. Children, Grandchildren, Great-Grandchildren, Parents, Grandparents . . . that's what family is.
As we return to in person events, let us be mindful of making space for new family members. Somebody may be sitting in your seat when you show up, be gracious and kind and mindful of what it is like to look for a new church home. They want to be family, too. Hospitality takes all of us, of every generation, to make folks feel like they've come home.
We're in a unique time in history. People are thinking about routines again, and that includes looking for a church. We've had several new guests and folks tell us they're ready to join our church. Let's do our part to make everybody, of every age, feel welcome - even if they're sitting in your seat.